When Laureate was founded in 1999, we were guided by the belief that when our students succeed, countries prosper and societies benefit. This belief is expressed through the company’s philosophy of being Here for Good. Laureate has a proven commitment to expanding access to quality higher education, delivering strong student outcomes, and finding ways to positively contribute to the communities we serve.
Consistent with our mission and our commitment to being Here for Good, we are proud to be a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC), which legally requires us to create a meaningful, positive impact on society. Becoming a PBC in 2015 allowed us to formally embed our mission into our legal structure. Today, we are one of the largest PBCs in the world, and the first to go public on any stock exchange in the world.
In February 2017, Laureate became the first Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) to go public on any stock exchange in the world
of Laureate institutions that reported have at least 95% of their management team native to their country of operation.
Of students, on average, at Laureate Institutions come from traditionally underserved groups such as first generation, low income, underserved minorities and returning adults.
of Laureate institutions have a Corporate Citizenship Program, including donations, volunteering, pro bono activities, and/or community development programs
of institutions have an environmental management system focused on sustainability, including 86% of institutions that have adopted energy efficiency measures.
We are equally proud to be a Certified B Corporation® (B Corp), one of the largest in the world. To become a B Corp, Laureate and every network institution were required to pass a rigorous, third-party assessment by B Lab®, an independent non-profit organization based in the United States. This was an important step to understanding our impact on our students, staff, and our communities, and it challenges us to find meaningful ways to improve. In fact, in 2017 we were recertified as a B Corp, improving our performance by nearly 10 percent.
Being a PBC and B Corp is much more than a legal status or an assessment – it is a way of doing business in a manner that helps us continue to do better for those who matter most: our students, staff, and the communities we serve. What sets us apart, though, is not only our commitment to using our business to improve the lives of those we serve, but that, as educators we have the scale and platform to help instill these values and ideals into all of our students, both present and future. Our collective impact is what makes us Here for Good.
- The first PBC to be publicly traded on any stock exchange in the world.
- The largest multinational to have all subsidiaries certified, with all institutions scoring above the 80 points required for certification.
- The first higher education company to be certified on B Lab’s Higher Education Addendum, which focuses on an institution’s impact on its students.
Laureate’ B Corp Journey
Laureate’s B Corp journey began at Laureate in 2015 when Laureate and its global network became a Certified B Corporation. Fast forward to today, Laureate has maintained B Corp certification and has had many highlights along the way.
- In February 2017, Laureate became the first Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) to go public on any stock exchange in the world.
- Laureate received “B Corp MVP” in October 2017 from B Lab.
- Laureate and each network institution completed B Corp recertification and increased final score by nearly 10 points. This makes Laureate the largest multinational to have all subsidiaries certified, with all institutions scoring above 80 points required to pass the assessment.
- The first higher education company to be certified on B Lab’s Higher Education Addendum – which focuses on an institution’s impact on its students.